Vacation: Intrigue, Deceit and VICTORY!


I can't believe I forgot to post this picture in my first vacation post. Brenna loves to play Spy Alley and I stink at it! Spy Alley is a game where you pick a card that tells you your spy identity - which country you're from. It's a secret, of course. The object is to gather up spy items (passwords, keys, codes and disguises) and make it to your embassy before someone correctly guesses what country you're from. You make decisions to throw people off, etc.

Here's a typical game for me:

1. I randomly pick a card - Germany - and NO ONE sees.

2. I pick up the die to roll for my first roll of the game. I have an empty board and I'm still on Start. I shake the die in my hand like a pile of salted peanuts.

3. Before I even roll the die Brenna says, "You're German!"

4. Now I have to play it cool and not show the shock and disbelief on my face, so I reply with, "Yup, I'm German." or "Why don't you guess right now?" - If a player makes an incorrect guess, they're out. What I really want to say is, "For the love of God, how do you ALWAYS know my identity???"

5. I make it through the game until Brenna lands on the safety spot. This is where players can guess the identity of another player and if they guess incorrectly they stay in the game. Brenna excitedly blurts out, "Mom's German!" and I hand over all my money and spy items to my 11 year old Spy Alley whiz kid.

6. I ask Bren, "How do you always know what I am?" She replies, "I can just tell!" Huh? "You just look German." What does that mean??? Makes me a tad suspicious. Is my sweet, fun daughter a Spy Alley cheater? I don't think so. I've kept control of the spy cards and shuffled and made sure everything was top secret and she still guesses correctly.

Tuesday, December 23rd was a good day. The sun was shining, the air was clean, something magical was in the air and I WON AT SPY ALLEY!!! I was playing with Hannah and Brenna and here's the victory photo I took. As you can see, my opponents were not thrilled with my victory!


4 comments:

A grateful customer December 25, 2009 at 9:34 AM  
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous December 25, 2009 at 1:59 PM  

yay!! you won!! Just please don't say that du bist ein Berliner. B/c you'd be a jelly doughnut...I'm sure you already know this. doch klar!
*tans.

Anonymous December 25, 2009 at 2:00 PM  

p.s. is that lettuce I see on those nails??
*tans

Jenners December 29, 2009 at 10:25 AM  

Well, at least you are getting beaten by a child who is older than 5. What is my excuse????

Current Time in Saigon, Vietnam

About Me

My name is Colleen and I currently live in Saigon, Vietnam. (aka Ho Chi Minh City) I have a husband, Mike, and 2 children. Our son Aidan is 14 and our daughter Brenna is 11. I am the elementary librarian at Saigon South International School. I love to read, be outside, play any sport that's going on, hang out with friends, and laugh.

What I'm Reading Now:

  • Picture Perfect by Jodie Picoult
  • Buddhism for Beginners by Thubet Chodron