Expats in the Hood!

I really like our neighborhood. We live in a townhouse less than a mile from school. It's a straight shot to school - we go out of our complex and go down the street until we hit the school, no turns, no bends in the road. But the street we go down is my favorite part of this whole area. There are cafes, restaurants, smoothie stands, massage places and more. It just has a cozy, fun, vacationy feel.

The other night Mike and I were having a little date night. While walking home from the smoothie stand we stopped in to The Tavern to listen to some live acoustic music. A female singer and 2 guys on guitar playing Aerosmith, The Beatles, etc. I love having all this right outside our door.

Below are some pix from our hood. Our little corner of the world that we call home right now.

Mike talking to the smoothie stand folks. We're regular customers!




















The friendliest smoothie stand lady. I think she smiles at us so much because she wouldn't have a job without all our smoothie purchases!
















One of the many cafes on our street. They hang lights in the trees. It looks festive every night!
















Another cafe.





























This is one of our favorite restaurants. It's called Vegas and has good food and an awesome salt water fish tank. I'll have to take pix of the tank the next time we go.

























Just so you know we really live in Vietnam - here are some grilled chicken feet! Yum! They're a favorite in Vietnam, China and probably other Asian countries. I think I'll pass, thanks!








































3 comments:

Unknown December 4, 2009 at 12:01 PM  

Hey, I love the blog. We need to chronicle our trips/travels and lives this way too, but I'm too burnt out on the work blog. Maybe I can convince Sydney to take up the family blog. You guys look so happy. I'm glad it is all working out. I promise, year 2 will be even better. You might even get a visit from the Munnos some day. :-) XXO

Jenners December 5, 2009 at 11:11 AM  

This looks really wonderful and like a wonderful happy place to live. Seems like you guys are totally adjusting to life in Vietnam ... but I suspect you guys would be able to make a home and a happy life anywhere!

Anonymous December 7, 2009 at 1:28 PM  

there's a restaurant in the ID that is duck feet and fish lips. I've always wondered what that tastes like, but haven't been brave enough to order it.
-tans

Current Time in Saigon, Vietnam

About Me

My name is Colleen and I currently live in Saigon, Vietnam. (aka Ho Chi Minh City) I have a husband, Mike, and 2 children. Our son Aidan is 14 and our daughter Brenna is 11. I am the elementary librarian at Saigon South International School. I love to read, be outside, play any sport that's going on, hang out with friends, and laugh.

What I'm Reading Now:

  • Picture Perfect by Jodie Picoult
  • Buddhism for Beginners by Thubet Chodron