The Snail That Ate Saigon

Yes, Loca is a territorial, yappy dog. But since we've gotten here she's grown accustomed to our little front yard and all the happenings in the hood. She generally doesn't bark when she's out there. She barks when someone right at our gate. This morning she was barking and barking and barking. I looked out the window and she wasn't by the gate. I started to think that maybe someone was IN our yard so I went downstairs to take a look. She was barking at a snail. Ha! What a whimp! Barking at a snail! But this was no ordinary snail, this was a snail on steroids! This was Super Snail! It was huge. Vietnamese people are the smallest people I've ever seen, but damn, they grow BIG snails! I took a picture and held my sunglasses to give it some perspective. I'm not sure it does it justice. From the tip of its head to the tip of its tail, it was about the length of my sunglasses. I've never seen a snail the width of my face!


5 comments:

Shazza December 10, 2009 at 7:58 AM  

Dude, we have those giant snails here in Laos, too! One time, I was coming in to school in the morning, and there was a mutant snail blocking my path. I thought someone might crush it, so I picked it up and moved it to the grass. Seriously, I had to put my back in to it!

Kimbra December 10, 2009 at 2:23 PM  

Trying so hard to leave a comment funnier than Sharons...
mmmm...aaaaahhhhhhh....ohhhhhhhhh
really straining here...
nuh
I got nothing!
no snail humor whatsoever...
Simon was always rather partial to what he called Neneh Cherry's 'snail trail' if you can recall back that far...
xxx

Anonymous December 11, 2009 at 1:27 AM  

OMG you weren't kidding, is that your hand? You DO have nails!! This is such a proud moment. Oh yes and that snail, holy moly. That is insane!!
-tans

Unknown December 11, 2009 at 7:44 AM  

If snails are anything like beareded dragon lizards, they hold their poop for weeks until they are startled or need to relieve themselves. Just imagine being so
ssssslllloooww and having a predator come upon you. That would scare the 's---' out of anyone, plus the 's---' could be a defense mechanism and scare anything away! Did it freak you out? Hummmmmmmmm
Lori

Jenners December 12, 2009 at 9:08 AM  

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEKKKKKKKKKKKK!

Current Time in Saigon, Vietnam

About Me

My name is Colleen and I currently live in Saigon, Vietnam. (aka Ho Chi Minh City) I have a husband, Mike, and 2 children. Our son Aidan is 14 and our daughter Brenna is 11. I am the elementary librarian at Saigon South International School. I love to read, be outside, play any sport that's going on, hang out with friends, and laugh.

What I'm Reading Now:

  • Picture Perfect by Jodie Picoult
  • Buddhism for Beginners by Thubet Chodron