Thanksgiving Saigon Style


We had to work on Thursday and Friday, so we celebrated Thanksgiving today (Saturday). My vice principal and his wife invited everyone to their house for a pot-luck dinner. And boy did I get pot-lucky. He had a sign-up sheet outside his office where you chose to bring a salad, side dish, dessert, etc. I forgot to sign up until the very last day. I thought I would have to bring a couple of roasted turkeys at that point. I went to the sign-up sheet with dread only to find that all the food items were already chosen and no one signed up to bring BEER! Wow! I was immediately thankful for that stroke of great luck! Mike and I bought a couple cases of Heineken last night and stuck them in the frig. Adam had garbage cans full of ice ready and waiting for the beer when we arrived. What a stress free Thanksgiving! I should have taken a picture of us putting the beer on ice! Darn!

Brenna missed the celebration because she's in Cambodia for a middle school basketball tournament. Mike, Aidan and I enjoyed the food and the company and then afterward we went downtown to Saigon Square, which is an indoor market. Actually we might have been at Saigon Square 2. We think the original is outdoors and the newer one is indoors, but we're not sure. In any case, we did some shopping there and at Ben Thanh market. Aidan was looking for skate jeans, skate shoes, and X-box games.


Below: Elaine, Stacey and I enjoying turkey and pumpkin pie.


Below: Aidan checking out the selection in a shoe shop.


Below: A friendly lady with a food stall. Not sure what she sold.


Below: A Vietnamese Santa and a hot little elf!!!

2 comments:

Jenny Kim November 29, 2009 at 10:12 PM  

haha! I love the 'not sure what she sold' part lol have you tried any street food there?

I had a Thanksgiving dinner at my dorm here too but I didn't get to eat much so that sucked :(

Fish & Bicycles December 2, 2009 at 6:06 AM  

To paraphrase an old David Letterman saying, you guys are having more fun than humans should be allowed to have.

Seriously, what fabulous lives you are living! Cheers!

Current Time in Saigon, Vietnam

About Me

My name is Colleen and I currently live in Saigon, Vietnam. (aka Ho Chi Minh City) I have a husband, Mike, and 2 children. Our son Aidan is 14 and our daughter Brenna is 11. I am the elementary librarian at Saigon South International School. I love to read, be outside, play any sport that's going on, hang out with friends, and laugh.

What I'm Reading Now:

  • Picture Perfect by Jodie Picoult
  • Buddhism for Beginners by Thubet Chodron