A Mother's Duty


Today we celebrated Halloween at school. Brenna went as a hippie. She wore the same costume she wore in 4th grade - she loves it, it still fits and no one has seen it, so why not?!? They had a costume contest and she took 2nd place for the 6th grade. Woo-hoo! She got beat out by a boy dressed as Lady Gaga. It's tough to beat an 11 year old boy in a wig!


She excitedly told me about her day. Her English teacher gave candy to all the kids that dressed up. She said, "He gave us this really delicious candy with chocolate and caramel inside. Milk Way or something" I replied, "Milky Way!" "That's it," she said, "They're really good!"

It's little moments like these that remind me that although Brenna is a native English speaker, was born in the US, spends every summer in Wyoming, and holds a US passport, she's not your typical American pre-teen. She just doesn't have the same experiences and background knowledge as her American counterparts. I laughed at her discovery of the Milky Way and told her it was Oma's favorite chocolate bar.

Where did I go wrong? I am a total chocoholic. My daughter is 11 and just tried a Milky Way for the first time? Have I been depraving her? What other delicious chocolate treats have been neglected? Surely she's had a Snickers and Reeses, but what about Twix? Has she experienced the cookie crunch?!? Baby Ruth? Mr. Goodbar? Butterfinger? I have definitely found a teachable moment. My mission is clear. My daughter needs to experience her home culture. It's what any good mother would do!

4 comments:

Jenners November 1, 2009 at 10:02 AM  

I just love that an 11-year-old boy dressed as Lady Gaga ... that would be unbeatable!!!

And it is soooooo sad that your poor deprived daughter is just discovering Milky Ways now!!! The horror! The inhumanity! You must work on this STAT!

Fish & Bicycles November 11, 2009 at 1:41 AM  

Great stuff, Colleen!

As you might recall, my 12-year old son, Julian, was born on Halloween, and it's hard for me to imagine him not having a traditional American Halloween (for better or worse) on his birthday. As you also might recall, we've thought about living abroad, and the Halloween thing, as hard as it is to believe, never crossed my mind. I'm not really sure how he'd handle not having the whole huge American Halloween experience.

Unknown November 16, 2009 at 12:49 PM  

Looking GOOD Bren!
Missing you guys!

Raija Vanhanen November 26, 2009 at 2:07 PM  

Funny, I always thought those were the Mars - bars. I guessed they just used any wrappings they could get in the eighties. We were forced to believe the MIlky Ways were some sort of whipped chocolate mousse with no caramel, I preferred the Mars. BUt they are so bad for your teeth, tell that to Brenna. And all the best from the heart of darkness where the sun supposedly rises at 9 a.m. never shows during the day and finally at 4 p.m. its is dark again.

Current Time in Saigon, Vietnam

About Me

My name is Colleen and I currently live in Saigon, Vietnam. (aka Ho Chi Minh City) I have a husband, Mike, and 2 children. Our son Aidan is 14 and our daughter Brenna is 11. I am the elementary librarian at Saigon South International School. I love to read, be outside, play any sport that's going on, hang out with friends, and laugh.

What I'm Reading Now:

  • Picture Perfect by Jodie Picoult
  • Buddhism for Beginners by Thubet Chodron