How Life Can Turn Upside Down in No Time At All




Jolly

Sometimes life shows you who's in charge and, no surprise, it's not me. I often discover this truth when things don't go my way or turn out the way I anticipated. Life is unfair. I've heard that since I was a little girl. My parents weren't trying to be mean, they were just stating facts. Most of the time, the unfairness is annoying, but tolerable. Last week "unfair" took on a whole new meaning. 

Jolly was my library TA for 3 years. She was fun, positive, intelligent, hard working, kind, helpful - the list of positive adjectives can just go on and on. She smiled and laughed more than anyone I know! She was fantastic to be around. We never had a disagreement or even an uncomfortable moment. If we had a problem, we brain stormed solutions and picked the best one. Problem solved. 

Jolly passed away 2 weeks ago, very unexpectedly. It doesn't seem like it's been 2 weeks already. Just by coincidence, I've been out of the library for much of the 2 weeks. I had Critical Friends Group training and then we were on vacation. Being out of the library and keeping my mind on something else has helped me through. Tomorrow I'm back at work, in the library, without Jolly. It'll be a tough day. Grieving isn't a fun process. I hope that time really does heal.

0 comments:

Current Time in Saigon, Vietnam

About Me

My name is Colleen and I currently live in Saigon, Vietnam. (aka Ho Chi Minh City) I have a husband, Mike, and 2 children. Our son Aidan is 14 and our daughter Brenna is 11. I am the elementary librarian at Saigon South International School. I love to read, be outside, play any sport that's going on, hang out with friends, and laugh.

What I'm Reading Now:

  • Picture Perfect by Jodie Picoult
  • Buddhism for Beginners by Thubet Chodron