Facebook Spreads Like Fire

A friend of mine finally set up a Facebook account. She not a real techie and was one of the last hold-outs from my group of friends. She joined at 6:29 and already has 11 friends. Her list of friends includes family and friends in Canada, along with local friends here in Shanghai. In a matter of about 2 hours, she connected with people on 2 continents - writing posts on walls, chatting, adding friends. 

I bet she'll double or triple her friends in the next couple days. I'm sure she'll see loads photos of her nieces and nephews in Canada, her friend's wedding this summer, another friend's baby in Colorado, photos of a trip to Europe...the list will be endless. I wonder how many chats she'll have in the next week?

I didn't join Facebook right away because I was just too busy to add one more "thing", one more obligation to my life. I heard people at work talking about poking people or getting slapped with a fish and that didn't interest me at all. Actually, it still doesn't! I rarely do those gimicky apps on FB. I don't play super hero games and send people digital plants. I'm actually a Facebook dud, in that regard. (Although I did send my husband a Slurpee gift since we used to go on Slurpee dates when we were poor college students!) 

However, I'm a Facebook diehard now. For me, Facebook means connections. I login and quickly know what people are up to, just by looking at their status. I can view pix and comment on them quickly and easily. I recently became Facebook friends with a friend of mine from high school. We both graduated from The American School of the Hague. She's Australian and we hadn't been in touch in over 20 years. I just looked at her photos from her trip to Phuket where she put a snake around her neck! Now that I have time for!

(Hey, she just got another friend! That's 12 and counting. Not too shabby for a tech novice!)

0 comments:

Current Time in Saigon, Vietnam

About Me

My name is Colleen and I currently live in Saigon, Vietnam. (aka Ho Chi Minh City) I have a husband, Mike, and 2 children. Our son Aidan is 14 and our daughter Brenna is 11. I am the elementary librarian at Saigon South International School. I love to read, be outside, play any sport that's going on, hang out with friends, and laugh.

What I'm Reading Now:

  • Picture Perfect by Jodie Picoult
  • Buddhism for Beginners by Thubet Chodron